TSA PreCheck Almost Shut Down Overnight Then DHS Suddenly Reversed Decision

Michael Hays

February 22, 2026

3
Min Read

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security abruptly reversed its decision to suspend the TSA PreCheck program after widespread criticism from lawmakers, airlines and travelers during an ongoing partial government shutdown.

Sudden Policy Change Sparks Confusion

Officials initially announced that TSA PreCheck, a popular expedited airport security program used by millions of travelers, would be suspended as part of emergency cost saving measures linked to the Department of Homeland Security funding crisis. The suspension was expected to begin early Sunday morning, raising fears of long airport security lines nationwide.

However, only hours later, the Transportation Security Administration clarified that PreCheck would remain operational, reversing the earlier announcement following public and political backlash.

Why DHS Planned the Suspension

The proposed shutdown of the program came amid a partial federal government shutdown that began after Congress failed to reach an agreement on funding for DHS. Officials said limited resources forced the agency to prioritize core security operations and reassign staff to handle standard passenger screening.

Homeland Security leaders argued that the move was necessary to manage staffing shortages, as thousands of federal employees continued working without pay during the funding lapse.

Backlash From Lawmakers and Airlines

The announcement quickly drew criticism from members of Congress, travel industry leaders and airline groups, who warned the suspension would disrupt air travel and increase congestion at major airports. Airlines for America and several lawmakers urged federal leaders to reconsider, calling the decision poorly timed and harmful to passengers.

Critics also accused the administration of allowing political disputes over immigration policy and agency oversight to impact everyday travelers.

What Changes Travelers May Still Notice

Although TSA PreCheck lanes will remain open, officials said operations could still be adjusted depending on staffing availability at individual airports. Some airport services, including courtesy escorts typically provided for government officials, have already been suspended to redirect personnel toward security operations.

Meanwhile, the status of the Global Entry trusted traveler program remains uncertain, and some processing activities may continue to face disruptions during the shutdown.

Impact of the Ongoing Shutdown

The dispute over DHS funding has affected several federal agencies, with many employees working without pay and nonessential programs paused. Analysts warn that prolonged funding negotiations could still lead to operational challenges across airport security and emergency management services.

For now, frequent flyers can continue using TSA PreCheck, avoiding longer security lines that many feared would return if the program had been halted.

The situation remains fluid as negotiations in Washington continue, meaning further changes to travel services cannot be ruled out if the shutdown persists.

Leave a Comment

Related Post